Friday, April 3, 2009

Lenny

This week has been crazy! Lots of family drama last weekend.... mom, uncle, aunt, cousin, other uncle all acting like jr. highers... so irritating!

My sister and her sweetie pies came over to hang out on Monday and the real drama began while Nadiah and Grace were playing in the backyard. They came in at about 10:30 saying that they saw a bunny in the yard, we smiled/said yea and sent them back out. Then they came in saying socks is chewing on something red.... again I sent them out thinking it was a piece of her collar that she had torn up while we were out of town on spring break. The next time they came in proclaiming that socks was eating a rat. They DEFINITELY had our attention at this point! Andrea (the much stronger stomached between the two of us) went out to check it out and began to call for me loudly.... very loudly! I reluctantly went out and she begged me to get the girls in the house and come back out to help her. I am terrified at this point, thinking that socks is hurt or something. While I got the girls settled in the playroom, she put socks in the side yard and began sobbing.... now I'm freaking out because my sis doesn't cry. I go out and see what the commotion is all about; Socks found a nest of baby bunnies. There were 6 little newborn bunnies lying on the ground with punctures in them. We thought they were all dead and began to pick them up and dispose of them before our girls discovered what the mutt had done (this is her new name, no longer Socks the Wonder Dog) when I saw that one was farther away from the others and appeared to be breathing. It was alive! We were pitiful! We made him a new nest in an old shoe box, put material from the original nest in it and put him on top of the dryer so that he could stay warm.

I then called our vet to see what to do and was shocked when I learned that no vets around here see bunnies. Really, well what the crumb am I supposed to do with it. I am a dog only kind of girl. Seriously! I like other animals, but I don't like things that smell badly... at all! Anyway, I finally got the number to this vet that was supposed to know all that I needed to do... their advice was... put the bunny back in its nest. I explained that the mutt would just get it again and kill it. She then suggested that I get a medicine dropper and give it a few drops of kitten milk or baby formula and try to nurse it and let it go when it's up and hopping around. OMGOSH!!! My sis and I were both so anxious about raising a bunny... I was gonna leave it on the vet's front porch:)! After I gave the bunny so much milk so fast that it shot out its little nose, we decided to call our Amma (the best Grandmother in the world). She proceeded to tell me of this friend that she has that rescues and nurses bunnies.... I couldn't have been happier!!! We made plans to drop off the bunny at around 6pm.

While I was gone to pick up the big kids from school, Andrea noticed that he wasn't getting warm enough. So she put some blankets in the dryer, stuck the bunny under her shirt (we're moms, skin to skin contact is the best) and covered the bunny up with the warm towel. When I got back it was my turn.... this part was so fun! I took Lenny and put him under my shirt right under my breast bone and covered him up and began to lightly storke him. He began to move and kind of perk up and ate a bit more. My sis and I felt so accomplished! The kids got to love on it and take pics of the sweet little thing. I'm not going to be a vet or anything or even own any new types of pets, but I did have fun caring for our sweet baby. We named him Lenny after the character from Of Mice and Men. The latest word is that he's doing just fine and doing what all bunnies should do! Woo hoo! We did it:).




PS: We're still not talking to Socks:)

1 comment:

~LL~ said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOH! I could have so done without that. I'm not strong at ALL when it comes to the demise of cute critters.

We saw 2 rabbits hanging out in our backyard today. DH and FIL will be working in the yard....I told them to watch out for babies....I would feel so bad.

(and what does it mean that the word verification is "expensis?"